23/04/2013

Wildlife Ponds

Anyone who knows me will be fully aware of my fascination with the wildlife in my garden. I think my family are somewhat immune to my rantings about what creature I've found while out there now, but others find it amusing when I rave about the teeniest frog I've just seen, or the stag beetles I've witnessed dancing on the water.


My main focus for wildlife are the little ponds dotted around my garden. I started off with one, added another three, then one more joined in last year.  They really are teeming with all kinds of life, including frogs and tadpoles, newts, dragonflies and stag beetles. 


All of my ponds have been made from containers that I happened to have laying around. You can really use just about anything, as long as it is waterproof. The one above is a very large plastic plant pot, lined with a thick dustbin bag and edged with slates and pebbles and lots of bushy plants.
  




As you can see, the frogs are very happy in it and have layed plenty of spawn in amongst the Spearwort :-)

The three ponds below were the first set I made. I'd dug up a sunken fish pond, having made the decision to have a freestanding one on the patio, and was left with a huge hole to fill. Rather than pile it all up with compost, I decided to pop some pots in to serve as mini ponds for the frogs.  A few years ago, it looked like this, with plenty of logs and pebbles providing hiding places.


And it now looks like this:-



Choc full of Marsh Marigold, Irisis, and Pond Grass, and surrounded by mounds of stunning Carex. The baby frogs especially like hiding out in here.

Last year, we knocked down a dilapidated garage in the garden, freeing up a lovely new space for me to fill. It was right next to the patio, and I thought would be the perfect spot for another little pond, one that I could whip out to from the kitchen in my slippers and have a quick peep at. I used a rectangular storage container for this one (ousting some Christmas decorations ;-) ) but because of the dire weather last year, I never really got to finish it off. Well, yesterday, I set to and added some fresh pond plants to it, carefully avoiding the frogs already in there and the mounds of spawn, and edged it with some slate and pebbles. I'm really happy with it.



And I think this cute couple are too!


I'm looking forward to seeing the borders of it bulked up with plants in the coming years to provide plenty of  shade and shelter. And in return for my generosity in providing them with homes, those frogs had darn well better eat all the nasty slugs in my garden this year!







22 comments:

  1. Great photos. I really should do something similar in my yard.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an inspiring post - I had quite a large pond in my previous garden, and loved watching the frogs and bugs. I have a small pond in a silly place in my front garden, and had been disappointed that I didn't see scope for a decent sized pond in the back, where the frogs could help police the slugs and protect my veg. So I have one question - how on earth do you keep the water healthy when the ponds are so small?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look after themselves Janet, I barely have to do anything. There are a good mix of oxygenating plants in there which helps to keep the water fresh. If we have a hot summer, then blanketweed can be a bit of an issue, but I just twirl it out with a stick.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Paula, I will add a small wildlife pond to my list, I'd love to have frogs in the garden again.

      Delete
  3. Lovely - and you have newts! WE get them at the plot but out of breeding season. Love the photo of the cuddle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only ever seen two newts Sue, I wish there were more. It also amazes me how they find the water, especially in a secluded garden like mine.

      Delete
  4. Those photos of the frogs hugging and kissing are just adorable! I'm amazed at the amount of spawn, too. Your pond is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love watching the frogs, I really could spend all day just staring at them, they really amaze me. Those two were hovering there like for days!

      Delete
  5. Terrific post and photos although I do now have pond envy as I've only got two on the plot! The frogs prefer my near neighbour's bigger pond but I have seen foxes drinking from mine.
    I think that all gardens and plots should have a pond as they're so beneficial for wildlife, and indeed us. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Flighty! Aah, pond envy ;-) Believe it or not, I still have it, but mine is for the people lucky enough to have huge ponds in their garden bursting with plants. I am learning to be content with my little ones though.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful post, I simply LOVED the pics of the frogs and your ponds.

    I'm just like you, constantly looking out for wildlife big and small and cooing to anyone who will listen.

    It's wonderful that you are providing so much wildlife friendly habitat, and you are obviuosly being rewarded for it.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Snowbird! I'm glad I'm not the only one in love with the wildlife. Honestly, people really do think I'm crackers!

      Delete
  7. Really enjoyed this post Paula and love your little ponds. We have two, one for the fish and the other for wildlife but now I have seen your littlies I think I may add another - you can never have too much water in a garden as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I say Elaine, water really does make a garden :-)

      Delete
  8. How wonderful to have these little ponds for wildlife. It is a terrific idea to use all sorts of bases for them. I love the frogs; I'm sure they'll show their appreciation by going after those slugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they'd better Wendy! I've got lots of hostas around this year and I'd like them to stay in one piece.

      Delete
  9. I've got a small wildlife pond in my garden too, they really do make a difference to the amount of wildlife you see in the garden. Wonderful photos of the frogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jo, even the smallest amount helps them out.

      Delete
  10. I am so jealous! I have a very similar tiny pond and although my husband is convinced he's heard a frog, I can't find any! I do have lots of fat toads, though. But I do not have frogs, frog spawn, or anything else that interesting. Sadness and despair...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I've never seen a toad here, shame we can't swap ;-)

      Delete

Your comment will appear after moderation.

Thank you so much for your visit and for taking the time to comment. Please leave a link to your blog if you have one, as I'd like to visit you back.